Thursday, March 24, 2011

DSLR vs. RED ONE.

We were in a conversation today about the diff between the RED ONE and the new DSLRs out there. I remember when years ago the rumors about the RED ONE was just an urban Legend. Finally after 8 years it came out. We were all very excited. It's been a great platform and is very very versatile.

Then Canon's 5D came out and every wanna-be out there suddenly became a filmmaker. So, it was hard to wade through all the crappy uses to find actual quality footage and images. The 7D allowed a production to have 2 or 3 additional cameras for the cost of one. It was just a matter of time before Nikon threw it's hat in the ring. They have the D7000. The D7000 comes with Nikon glass and a color sensor as opposed to the black and white sensor on the Canon 7d. The contrasts you get with the D7000 is truly amazing to see. You can see all the details in shadows.


Nikons D800 is been talked about coming out last fall. It's still not here. We are being told it'll be here in June. It is a full sensor (35mm film sensor) size. This will compete with the Canon5D. Obviously the D800 will be the best since it has Nikon glass.

  • Brand new 24.6MP FX 35.9 x 24 mm CMOS sensor
  • Full HD (1080p) movie recording @24fps
  • Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX AF of 51 points


We will be listed support rods and equipment that we are using in a coming blog.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

DSLR's don't even compare to a red. mostly for one reason. compression. Red is raw. 5d and 7d is h264 youtube quality. the color sampling at 4:1:1. thats a joke. just sayin.

Now don't get me wrong I'll shot with a dlsr any day, for the price, you can't beat em. but you can't compare the two. theres a reason red starts at 25k. and thats a cheap digital cinema camera. at one of my studios we shoot wit a f950, starts at 100k. I like the red better though haha.
-ian

Delano Bryant gpp, llc said...

Ian, I do agree with you on the size of the images and the quality difference in footage. But for TV, Web delivery? The DSLRs are perfect. By the time you've converted and taken the final into a D.I. But how long is your RED down or waiting for the latest firmware update? The RED is the RED and we use one. But what is going to be used more and more everyday? DSLRs.

Unknown said...

you're right, for web delivery there isn't much difference. TV, there most definitely is, but the normal person wouldn't notice so you win on that too. but what about before final output? like I said I'll shoot with a dlsr, like I did on my last short film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMjXp_J6Y88&feature=channel_video_title

but I'll tell you my biggest problem with it was working with it in post. There's no room for changes AFTER you've shot. too grainy, no dynamic range, terrible compression and too low rez.

I was happy with it while shooting, i was like "man, why have i not shot with a DSLR before, this is awesome!" then i got to post and i was like "....this is why..." lol

BUT i think a DSLR does the job. If that's what you need, your budget it tight, you need somethin fast, get a DSLR, you'll get by. And the average viewer will never know the difference.
But if you have a choice? Shoot somethin higher rez, or at least higher bitrate, compression, or color sampling.

i won't view DSLRs as professional until they offer such things.
They're still in the beginning stages, they are no where near to professional standards. In a few years that will prolly change. It'd be crazy awesome for a dslr to offer raw. I'd use that in a heartbeat (which i've heard rumors of).

And I don't think DSLR's will ever be used to the point you speak of...why would a still camera be the standard for film? eventually there will be a dlsr made JUST for film, oh, and can take pictures too...if you want...lol and that will be the beginning of an age. like the new red, calling it a "DSMC" not a "DLSR."

But the main reason a dlsr will never be excepted is people like me. I'm a DP. it's my job to know the technical shiznit of cameras. And if i see two cameras, and the producer is asking me "which one do you want?" I'm going to say "the better one." as of right now, DLSR's are not the better choice. They are an only choice for some. Sometimes even me. but if the DP's had a choice, they would rather use something else. period.

Delano Bryant gpp, llc said...

Ian, thanks for your insight. And yes the RED ONE is the way to go or the Alexa. I will say two things NEVER EVER edit in the native H264. We take our footage into Compressor or some sort and uprez to DVC Pro. Also, remember the Original film cameras from before we were born.... were Still cameras firt. I'm just saying.

Thanks again. I welcome your input and tips you've come up with while shooting DSLRs or the RED.

Social Media